Carbonomics® is a leader in helping businesses realize the potential of carbon credits in the US and international emission-trading markets. Carbonomics identifies greenhouse-gas (GHG) reduction opportunities, determines how projects can generate carbon credits, and guides companies through the entire process - from project inception to annual verification.
Carbonomics® also helps local governments set up community choice programs that accelerate renewable energy development and reduce GHGs.
What We Do
Most buyers and sellers of offset credits have little desire or time to do the tasks required to bring a carbon credit to market – so they happily outsource this drudgery to Carbonomics!
- Initial project screen: Carbonomics can conduct an initial project screen to determine if a project would comply with a particular registry's stringent guidelines on additionality, baseline determination and monitoring requirements.
- Protocol Eligibility: Many project types already have established methodologies and protocols. However many projects do not fit neatly under a pre-approved protocol and require some kind of deviation or amendment in order to be placed on a registry. Other project types may not have an eligible protocol at all, in which case one needs to be written, reviewed and approved. Carbonomics can guide a client through the process of creating a new offset methodology – in essence, bringing a new carbon "asset class" to the market.
- Baseline Validation and Registration: In order for projects to generate credits, they must go through a complex, third-party validation of the baseline. Carbonomics can guide clients through all of the tasks associated with getting a project registered. This task often includes being on-site during a validation/verification and ensuring all of the data and documentation are provided in exact accordance with the protocol being used.
- Annual Verification: To obtain credits, every project must undergo an independent audit to ensure the offsets generated are real. Carbonomics can prepare the client for verification to ensure the smooth issuance of credits.
- Post-Project Monitoring: Carbonomics can work to ensure on-going compliance with the monitoring procedures of a particular protocol. For example, a faulty meter could make a year's worth of credits disappear. Failure to do these minor "housekeeping" chores can cost millions of dollars. Making sure these chores get done is our job.
- Find a buyer for the offsets. Negotiating an emissions reduction purchase agreement or ERPA can present specific challenges for a seller. Does the seller guarantee delivery and get a higher price? Or are there risk-mitigating measures that might lower the price but offer some protections in case of under-delivery of credits. Carbonomics can work with offset providers to find the right risk-reward profile of a specific project.